Heath Ritenour Outlines the Importance of Landlord Insurance in Today’s Market
As the Chairman and CEO of the Insurance Office of America, Heath Ritenour spends quite a bit of time developing processes to circumnavigate investing’s most inherent financial risks. For landlords, Heath Ritenour understands that additional protection can go a long way, particularly when it comes to new investment properties with long-term implications.
While landlord insurance may not be the most exciting of conversational topics, developing the right landlord insurance policy can ensure that your property is protected when you need it most.
Understanding Landlord Insurance (And Do I Need It?)
Having developed the Insurance Office of America into one of the largest private insurance agencies in the nation, Ritenour has developed some level of skill when it comes to protecting his investments. In that same line of thinking, Ritenour wants prospective and present landlords to understand that landlord insurance is not the same as homeowners insurance.
What is landlord insurance, then?
Landlord insurance is designed for residential property owners who are renting out their space to tenants. The exact type of coverage can and will vary based upon the landlord, the property in question, and the renter.
With that being said, almost all policies will cover the basics:
- Sudden Income Loss – If a tenant must move out due to loss, landlord insurance will cover any lost rental income.
- Property Damage – The most common reason to place an insurance claim, landlord insurance provides coverage for damage to the structure as a result of weather, fire, acts of God, or vandalism.
- Liability Issues – Lawsuits/legal fees, as well as settlements and medical costs, can all be covered by landlord insurance.
Insurance expert Heath Ritenour also understands that certain properties will carry with them elevated concerns that may go beyond the traditional coverage provided by landlord insurance. As a result, additional coverage may be required. Depending on where you live, flood insurance may be an add-on policy to consider. Some landlords will also opt to gain coverage for furniture and fixtures.
Typically, landlord insurance does not cover the following items:
- Tenant Belongings
- Partial Home Rentals
- Broken Appliances
Finding the Right Landlord Insurance Quote
Like any other insurance policy, finding the perfect policy premium will be dependent on location, inherent risk, and your own financial situation. Landlord insurance companies will often charge increased premiums against property owners with a history of damage claims, particularly recent ones.
With that being understood, finding the right landlord insurance policy requires some shopping around. There are many different policies and carriers available throughout the country. Most important of all, landlords should focus on three primary questions as they develop their policy.
- What Kind of Coverage Do I Need? – First and foremost, finding the right policy comes above all else. No two locations will feature the same requirements, so Heath Ritenour advises working closely with an insurance broker to ensure your coverage needs are met. Consider flood and water damage as well as other exacerbating circumstances.
- How MUCH Coverage Do I Need? – The more coverage you need, the higher your premium will be. Insurance policies also feature a deductible and that can vary greatly depending on the policy.
- Are There Any Specials/Discounts? – Many insurance agencies will reduce costs for insurance policies when you bundle them together.
To learn more about landlord insurance and its impact on your bottom line, contact Heath Ritenour and the team at the Insurance Office of America!
- How to use the growth data and predict the yields? November 22, 2021
- Heath Ritenour Outlines the Importance of Landlord Insurance in Today’s Market November 17, 2021
- Find the Best Sites to Buy cheap Instagram followers November 2, 2021
- Factors to consider before you become a home loan guarantor October 29, 2021
- How To Use Your Oven Racks Profitably And According To Your Recipe October 19, 2021
- The Different Uses of Tungsten in the Market October 19, 2021
- Six Tried And Accurate Tips For Cleaning Tents. October 19, 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- May 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019